Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sushi!

No disaster! Can you believe it?? Sushi.. I thought for sure I'd be crying in my Ebi. But no.. everything went beautifully and our sushi not only turned out very pretty, but muy delicioso!

I had to wait until the 14th to make it as I had a couple friends over for a sushi making/movie watching party. Both gals were an absolute delight and we all really enjoyed making the sushi.

Sushi making is very time consuming due to the prep work and because of this, it is assured that our favorite sushi place will not be losing our business. *grin* Well there's that and there's the fact that the sushi chef, Jonathan Hirsch, from our favorite sushi restaurant (Lure Bistro in Willoughby, Ohio) helped me to make this party a sucess for myself and my friends! He gave great advice and hooked me up with some excellent fish and a few tools of the trade to make sushi making much easier than I ever thought it could be. Well, let me rephrase that - BASIC sushi making is easy.. the kind of sushi that looks like art work, well that's a whole different story. I could never put out sushi plates that look as beautiful as Jonathan's - and I'll tell you why I know this...

The November 2009 Daring Cooks challenge was brought to you by Audax of Audax Artifex and Rose of The Bite Me Kitchen. They chose sushi as the challenge.


I watched a video that Audax and Rose gave us the link to. It was of a pretty basic dragon roll, but what I was most interested in was how sushi chefs get the avocado to lay so perfectly on top of the roll. This video really illustrated how it's done and it's the method I used - which turned out perfectly. I was so excited! The next step was to cut the dragon roll and then plate it and decorate it. That part didn't go so well. We chose to use tempura shrimp in our dragon roll because none of us like eel. Well, even though I was using a sharp knife, when it hit the harder tempura shrimp, I over compensated by pushing the knife down to break through it (not that it was rock hard, just harder than avocado, rice, tuna and cucumber) and that ended up squishing my beautiful roll and the delicate avocada squished off and all over the place. Gah.

This happened after 4 hours of prep (we also had tempura sweet potato to munch on - YUM! and I made Jaden's Pork and Crab Wonton soup again) and ya'll know me.. I was f'n starving, tired, and annoyed. So I didn't even bother decorating it. :P


Mindy made gorgeous spiral rolls and Amy excelled at the Nigiri. All in all it was a most fabulous evening and we were all super impressed with our mad sushi making skilz that we didn't even know we had! Thanks Audax & Rose! It was one of the best challenges yet! And thanks Jonathan!! You made a daunting task, so much more accessible and fun!

xoxo

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Sushi!"

 

Blogger Audax said ... (11/15/2009 8:53 PM) : 

Lis I'm so so so deeply disturbed by your posting - your sushi is beautiful, delicious looking and that nigiri's topping is so fresh, shiny and luscious. And your rice is perfect almost transparent (which is the sign of excellent sushi rice). I'm so used to something going wrong it feels odd not to have to say sorry about something. LOL LOL LOL.

I'm so glad that your hidden sushi skills were exposed in this challenge. Yes a lot of people were surprised by how easy good basic sushi is to make at home.

And sushi is so much fun to make with friends and the best way to make it. Bravo on a great challenge.

Cheers from Audax in Australia.

So glad to hear this was one of your fav challenge's so far

 

Blogger maybelles mom said ... (11/15/2009 9:10 PM) : 

I love Lure bistro, though haven't been there in ages. Did you get your fish downtown at Kate's? We went vegan/ veg with ours.

 

Blogger Kiyi Kiyi said ... (11/15/2009 9:12 PM) : 

Tempura - yum!
Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
That avocado is tricky to work with.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (11/15/2009 9:49 PM) : 

Hooray! It really did go beautifully Lis! All of the sushi looks fantastic =D.

 

Blogger Elle said ... (11/16/2009 12:20 AM) : 

Good thing you took the photo when the avacado slices were PERFECT!! Take a bow!! It all sounds so yum...and pretty healthy, too.

 

Blogger Wic said ... (11/16/2009 1:32 AM) : 

this sushi looks delicious. I too feared a disaster.
amazing how this two made a lot of people have beautiful and easy sushi.

 

Blogger Rose said ... (11/16/2009 1:55 PM) : 

Hoooray! Your sushi looks amazing!!!!!!!!! No disasters!? WHAT!? I am jumping up and down! Glad you had a good time with your sushi party, it's the best way to do it... getting everyone involved in the process. On second thought, I think next time I will invite more people over for a sushi "party" then sit back and instruct, sipping sake as they churn out rolls for me. MUAHAHAH! xo great job!

 

Blogger cuppy said ... (11/16/2009 2:27 PM) : 

I'd call you a cheater for using the sushi chef, but that would be my jealousy speaking. VERY clever. ;)

Your sushi looks wonderful!! And now I wish I'd done tempura... those sweet potatoes sound yummy!!

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (11/18/2009 4:32 PM) : 

Lis, the sushi chef who helped me obviously doesn't subscribe to the pretty way to lay out avocado for a Dargon roll. He used a thick veggie peeler and had me drape the slices like saggy, stringy hair. Seeing yours, I wish I had seen that vid! That said, did I ever tell you that I love sweet potato tempura so much that people have to take it away from me or else I'll just keep eating it? Love the tempura shrimp too, though not as obsessively. Beautiful job, lovely girl!

 

Anonymous veron said ... (11/22/2009 9:11 PM) : 

Oh my God, sis! This sushi is perfection! Now you need to come to my house and make this. :)

 

Anonymous kellypea said ... (11/22/2009 11:19 PM) : 

Whoa. Totally gorgeous, Lis. Seriously. I love me some sushi and have made it a couple of times, but clearly missed the boat on this one AGAIN. I'm pedaling as fast as I am. I swear I am.

 

Anonymous SushiTail said ... (1/13/2010 2:48 PM) : 

The close-up shots of sushi make me want to reach out and grab them.

 

post a comment