Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Nothing Floats My Boat Like Salty & Sweet

This month's challenge was hosted by some very lovely gals.. Dolores of Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity, Jenny of Foray Into Food, and Alex a/k/a Brownie of the fabulous duo Blondie and Brownie. Gals you hosted with grace and knowledge and HUGE amounts of support for the rest of us - thank you so much! :)

These three gals chose Caramel Cake, a recipe from talented pastry chef Shuna Fish Lydon, who writes Eggbeater. You can find
Shuna's recipe at Bay Area Bites.

Like many other members, I went into this recipe with a few reservations. I love caramel, but find it really sweet.. usually too sweet, unless there is a good amount of salt in it. So I was worried about this cake making my teeth scream :P Secondly, a cake that isn't chocolate, pumpkin or carrot?? Unthinkable! hee! But, again like many other Daring Baker members, I am very happy that I put my reservations aside and tried this recipe as this turned out to be a delicious cake.. especially the next day and the following days after.

Caramel Cake

This cake didn't take long to make and I didn't really have any problems.. I was unsure at one point because my butter browned quite darkly. I was afraid I had burned it, but after I strained it through a coffee filter (thanks for the tip, my lovely guru!) I saw that the actual butter was a beautiful color.

The cake itself was sweet, but not sickeningly so. It had a marvelous dense texture that I adore. But it was the frosting that made this cake so good to me. OHMYGOD I will make this frosting again and again. It came together easily and was very fluffy and creamy. I chose to use Maldon sea salt and I'm glad I did because I really loved the little "chunks" of salt in the sweet, creamy buttercream.

Caramel Cake

Actually I prefer any cake that's frosted with buttercream to be room temperature so it doesn't feel like I'm eating sponge topped off with a stick of butter. But I really enjoyed this cake cold. I don't know why exactly, but I did. Three other people ate this cake.. Hubbs, who loved the frosting but not the cake so much. My mom, who just kept making a NOM NOM NOM YUM NOM noise the whole time she ate her slice and my sister who thought the saltiness was "interesting" har! All in all, I'd have to say the general concensus was that it was a delicious cake that they wouldn't decline if offered again. ;)

Before I end, a big thank you and hugs to Natalie of Gluten A Go Go for helping out with a gluten free version of this cake, and the many talented Daring Alternative Bakers who helped support each other in creating vegan and lactose free versions! :)

Warm wishes to everyone for the upcoming holiday season! Now go start CLICKIN'!

xoxo

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Nothing Floats My Boat Like Salty & Sweet"

 

Blogger BC said ... (11/29/2008 10:14 AM) : 

You cake was better after a few days?!? My cupcakes are barely inching past the 24 hour mark and they. are. gone.

Great work!

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (11/29/2008 10:46 AM) : 

Yum! I, too, really loved the frosting; the browned butter is fantastic!

And, CONGRATULATIONS, MARRIED LADY!

 

Blogger Renee said ... (11/29/2008 10:50 AM) : 

Your cake looks so moist and delicious!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (11/29/2008 11:04 AM) : 

You strained your butter through a coffee filter! That's so smart. I strained mine through my finest sieve and I didn't think it made any difference at all. I really like the dense texture of the cake too, and I can't believe I didn't mention that all my tasters loved it!

 

Blogger Mary said ... (11/29/2008 11:18 AM) : 

Straining the butter through a coffee filter is BRILLIANT! I think maybe I should have added a lot more salt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/29/2008 11:18 AM) : 

Yes, the frosting was the best part, I completely agree! I even have a bit extra saved in the freezer. Not sure if it will be just as tasty after defrosting, but I guess we'll see!

 

Blogger Lesley said ... (11/29/2008 11:22 AM) : 

I'm not suprised to see how nice yours are...very nice!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/29/2008 11:50 AM) : 

No disaster story? You are changing on us, Lis, that´s unfair! haha Gorgeous cake, and you make me snort with the "sponge with a slab of butter on top" comment, that´s exactly how I feel about cold buttercream frosting, that´s why it was room temperature for me all the way.

 

Blogger Cynthia's Blog said ... (11/29/2008 12:09 PM) : 

Lis, I loved that everything I needed for this cake was already in my kitchen! I too liked the salty sweetness....yup , it's a keeper.

 

Blogger Aparna Balasubramanian said ... (11/29/2008 12:33 PM) : 

I agree, this cake didn't take too much of effort to make. Though it was too sweet for me, personally, I din't see anyone else complaining. Too busy polishing off the cake, I guess.

 

Blogger glamah16 said ... (11/29/2008 12:43 PM) : 

Looks wonderful. And congrats on the big day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/29/2008 1:02 PM) : 

Beautifully done, Lis... and a belated congratulations on your marriage!

 

Blogger Engineer Baker said ... (11/29/2008 1:18 PM) : 

Too funny - my favorite part was the frosting, and I liked the cake cold too. I think it cut down on how sweet it tasted that way. Yours looks lovely.

 

Blogger Helene said ... (11/29/2008 1:54 PM) : 

The whole time I was making this cake I was saying "nom yummy!"...Turned out beautiful!! Soon you won't need me at all :(

 

Blogger Clumbsy Cookie said ... (11/29/2008 3:04 PM) : 

I also used Maldon salt on mine. You cake has such a perfect texture!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/29/2008 4:06 PM) : 

We're on the same page when it comes to the need for salt. You cake looks wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/29/2008 4:11 PM) : 

I see that although you are now an old married lady that you still have your baking chops - nice result!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/29/2008 4:12 PM) : 

I also loved the sweet and saltiness of this! Congrats on your marriage!

 

Blogger Snooky doodle said ... (11/29/2008 4:58 PM) : 

this cake looks yummy even though it seems to be overly sweet :)

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (11/29/2008 5:10 PM) : 

Yours looks delicious-- very light in color compared to ours. I agree that the cake gets better with age: so good with tea the second day!

 

Blogger Alpineberry Mary said ... (11/29/2008 6:57 PM) : 

Yup. I definitely agree that the sea salt really made the frosting better. Congratulations to you and hubbs!

 

Blogger Faery said ... (11/29/2008 7:02 PM) : 

I also think is a bit sweet but texture of the cake is adoraable, and I am with you I like it cold.

 

Blogger Jen Yu said ... (11/29/2008 7:43 PM) : 

Beautiful cake, Lis. I also have to applaud your brilliant use of the coffee filter - I should have done that! Congrats on your wedding/marriage!!

 

Blogger Andrea Meyers said ... (11/29/2008 8:21 PM) : 

Your cake looks perfectly moist, nicely done! I missed out on the cake this time, but I've already planned to make it for my birthday in January.

xoxo, Andrea

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/29/2008 8:24 PM) : 

Your cake looks great! The frosting was my favorite part, too. And the coffee filter tip? So clever!

 

Blogger Shaheen said ... (11/29/2008 11:40 PM) : 

Interesting observation that the cake taste better on the days after. I'm on day 2 so I'll test that for myself! :)

Oh, and congratulations on your weddings. :)

 

Blogger Elle said ... (11/30/2008 12:07 AM) : 

Happy 2nd anniversary of the Daring Baker challenges Lis! Thank you for making it such a warm, supportive, daring group of baking friends! This cake is a wonderful recipe for such a memorable date. Too sweet for my taste, but then I didn't add salt...shouda! Happy holidays!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/30/2008 12:13 AM) : 

Your mom is beyond cute. And I agree with her on the nom nom. Yummy cake. Seriously. Didn't have any fancy salt like you, but will totally try that next time with this -- and there WILL be a next time. Gorgeous cake, Lis. Elegantly perfect.

 

Blogger Camille said ... (11/30/2008 9:13 AM) : 

I love the salty/sweet combo, too. (I used the coffee filter as well...works great.) Your cake looks wonderful.

 

Blogger giz said ... (11/30/2008 12:45 PM) : 

I think I should have added more salt. Your cake turned out divine. I wouldn't mind trying the candies.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (11/30/2008 3:08 PM) : 

that browned butter frosting was great and to think i almost did not make it!

 

Blogger CookiePie said ... (11/30/2008 4:34 PM) : 

Beautiful cake! It looks so luscious in the photo! And best wishes on your recent nuptials!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/30/2008 9:29 PM) : 

I loved this cake! I think I could have used a little bit more salt in my frosting, but it was still divine!

Belated congrats on becoming a married lady!

;) amy

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (11/30/2008 11:33 PM) : 

Your cake looks great. I like a little room temperature buttercream myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/01/2008 1:47 AM) : 

It seems so delicious!!!

 

Blogger Dharm said ... (12/01/2008 4:46 AM) : 

Your cake looks just great! isnt it interesting how some people have darker coloured icing while some are so light... and, Congrats you!!! I'm just upset that you are off the market now...!!

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (12/01/2008 7:42 AM) : 

Oooh I should try this again, adding more salt than I did, and using a coarse salt. Your cake looks so pretty.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (12/01/2008 2:40 PM) : 

Wish I'd used more salt. Coffee filter is brilliant!
It's just good cake hey! Your mom is wonderful.

 

Blogger Sheltie Girl said ... (12/01/2008 9:32 PM) : 

You did a fabulous job on your cake!

Congratulations on your wedding!

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

 

Blogger Tracy said ... (12/02/2008 7:55 AM) : 

It looks delicious! And congratulations on your wedding1

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/02/2008 11:51 AM) : 

Well, I was only so so on the frosting myself, but I loved the cake - so dense and moist! Yours turned out very nice. And a belated congratulations on your recent sappy nuptuals!

 

Blogger High Power Rocketry said ... (12/04/2008 6:29 PM) : 

: )

 

Blogger adli said ... (12/06/2008 1:45 AM) : 

your cake looks mighty awesome! maybe I should take another take at the cake and make the buttercream more salty to balance out the sweetness like yours. haha..

owh, thanks for commenting!

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (12/07/2008 3:51 PM) : 

That buttercream's worthy of licking off someone you love, isn't it. :) Thanks for baking with us during what I know was a busy month in your world.

On THAT subject, congratulations and best wishes for a lifetime of love and laughter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/08/2008 5:35 PM) : 

the cake looks great! and Congrats on your wedding.... you should post some wedding food tips (I'm getting married next year and would your input:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/10/2008 11:57 PM) : 

The cake looks so delicious.Feel hungry now lol

 

Blogger Cristine said ... (12/21/2008 6:15 AM) : 

Beautiful cake!!!

Thanks so much for the wonderful comment you left on my crepe cake. It totally made my day! :)

 

post a comment