Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Beans! Beans! The Magical Fruit...

The more you eat.. the more you Hi! I just can't help myself from mentally singing that lil diddy everytime I think about beans. They are quite magical, aren't they?

Not that I'd really know, as not many beans pass these almost 40 year old lips. Yeah.. I'm not a big bean lover. Nope, not so much hip on the legumes. I know. I'm weird. I realize I'm in the minority here and that most really enjoy beans. I, personally, can't get past the texture.. kinda fibery & creamy at the same time. And they sometimes get stuck at the back of the roof of your mouth - you know, where the hard palate rolls into the soft palate right before you hit the uvula? heh heh Nay Sayers.. you didn't know I was so fakkin educated on areas in the human mouth, now didja? I'm not really.. I just looked it up - but I was pleasantly surprised when I realized I could use the word "Uvula" in a sentence. I love that word. Uvula. I don't use that word often enough, yanno?

Anyhooooo.. yeah the bean meat or whatever ya wanna call it.. the pasty stuff sometimes gets stuck in that area of the mouth and sometimes it's hard to get it off.. sometimes you find yourself chipping away at it with the tip of your tongue, or even worse, rubbing it with the base of your tongue in a way of trying to scrub it off.

Quit looking at me that way.

Are you trying to tell me that I'm the only person EVER to get the bean meat stuck on the roof of my mouth? The only one who could spend hours trying to chip away or scrub it off with her own tongue?? Whot. Evah. You've NEVER experienced that waxy, pasty, grainy, squicky feeling sometimes brought on by pasty bean meat? How about when it adheres to your two front teeth like little ill-fitting wool sweaters?

So, I'm guessing you get the idea why I'm not a huge bean loving gal, eh? BUT! I want this to change! I dooo!! I know I'm missing out on all kinds of delicious salsas, hummus, nachos, southwestern eggrolls, rice & beans, layer No. 1 of most Mexican 7 Layer dips.. I mean the list could go on and on.. And what's more, I've heard that beans are good for you. Can you imagine?

Well now, I gotta tell you how excited I've been for the past 48 hours. Squeeeeeeeeeeee! I made a bean dish - And - I LOVED IT! No, LOVE is not strong enough of a word.. I.. I.. I could make out with this bean salad. I could! Okay a lil background.. I'm going to spoil it for those of you who are waiting with bated breath (baited breath? like fish hook baited?) for the big Salad Stravaganza debut on July 1st, but I can't help it. Alanna of A Veggie Venture submitted a recipe for the Stravaganza that just made me NEED to run out for green beans and almonds. 'kay well, you know I gotta mess with everything.. so I opted for cashews in lieu of the almonds, BUT STILL! I RUSHED to get these ingredients and I RUSHED to get home to prepare this dish.. this amazing BEAN dish.

Fresh Green Bean Salad w/Asian Dressing

Ohh.. uhhmmm.. all that stuff you just read up there - yanno, about the hate hate relationship I have with beans? 'kay that really had nothing much to do with this post because I like green beans. I've always liked them. heh heh So yeah, no, I've never really been known for shootin' straight from the hip. Ya dig? I kinda liked takin ya'll on a wild bean hatin' rant before I got to the point of this here post. heeee!

So as I was saying, Alanna submitted this dish and I just fell in love with it, and honestly? I can't really say why. But I did and I tried it and it was the best bean salad I have ever had in my whole and entire life! The beans were crisp and flavorful, the dressing was tangy and zingy and was all about the Asian flavored love. And the icing on the cake was the Soy Glazed cashews that are sprinkled on top of the green beans. Those were so good on their own that Hubbs has informed me that no nut will pass his lips if they aren't soy glazed nuts.

That didn't sound exactly right...

If this description hasn't made you push yourself away from the screen in a mad dash to find yourself some green beans and the nut of your choice, then maybe this will help.. green beans are low in calories (only like 44 calories in 1 cup!), they are an excellent source of Vitamins C & K and something called manganese! And! And! They are really good for your heart and all the lil things attached to it! Dudes.. these green beans pack a major healthy punch!

Fresh Green Bean Salad w/Asian Dressing

Since I only changed the type of nut used in Alanna's recipe, I'm not going to give the recipe here - but I am going to give you a word to click on that will take you to the recipe.. but kids? Single file, okay? Don't be jammin' up Alanna's site. :D

Okay here's the word: --> UVULA <--

And because Alanna has already submitted a recipe to Ilva's and Joanna's Heart Of The Matter No. 4, and because The Heart Healthy gals prefer one-event submissions, I'm going to submit this recipe in Alanna's name just because I feel so strongly that it should be passed around and seen in events that are healthy eating related. So I'm hoping the gals won't see this as a recipe coming from another event as the Salad Stravaganza has yet to "debut". heee!

Fresh Green Bean Salad w/Asian Dressing

PS - You might notice that I labeled this dish as a starter, a side dish and the main dinner dish, because I feel it would work as all three. =)

xoxo

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Beans! Beans! The Magical Fruit..."

 

Blogger Alanna Kellogg said ... (6/22/2007 12:12 AM) : 

Okay, okay, tie me down but you've got me chortling over green beans in a way that has never happened before. May I cook for you? I think I can give you more green bean type experiences!!!

Seriously, Lis, it's just a thrill for me that this silly salad has made both you and your husband gasp for air and for words. Thank you!! And thank you for the extra submission to Heart of the Matter, I hope Ilva and Joanna chuckle as much as I am right now.

You belong in stand-up, truly!

BTW as for nuts, ahem, I think your choice of cashews is utterly brilliant.

Many thanks for the laughs, the endorsement, the encouragment, the chuckles, the grins, the laughter, let's see what else, oh RIGHT, the green beans.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (6/22/2007 1:45 AM) : 

Giggle! You crack me up. And yes I probably am one of those people who NEVER had that pasty stuff clinging to the back of my gums. Am I weird? This really looks awesome. Ya know what? I bought some fine fresh beans at the Farmers Market yesterday and I have a huge bag of cashews sent by my mum from Dubai. So guess what I will be trying out?

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (6/22/2007 2:08 AM) : 

I have no understanding how Alanna could possibly use the word seriously in a sentence about this post except that you used uvula to get us to green beans. I don't know which is more unlikely.
Ilva and Joanna are going to love this one! I love this one. You really have way too much fun playing with your food Lis!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (6/22/2007 9:43 AM) : 

I'm still alive Lis and that looks fantastic! I love cashews.

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (6/22/2007 10:50 AM) : 

This looks soooo good!! And I just happen to have some fresh green beans that need to be used....

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (6/22/2007 11:27 AM) : 

Yum, yum, yum. Now if only my husband would eat beans. sigh.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/22/2007 3:58 PM) : 

I'll join with you in the bean-haters club and mostly for the same texture related issues. Green beans, edamame, and jelly are all a-okay though. If hating beans makes you "weird" then come sit by me and we'll form a support group. It'll be a blast and other people will fake hating beans just so they can get one of our laminated membership cards.

I think Jay Leno should begin a cooking segment and you'll make a fine host. Maybe Ross the intern could be your sous chef. I'd stay up late to watch that!

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (6/22/2007 7:03 PM) : 

This looks utterly good... I'd almost say, forget the beans and pass the nuts, but that wouldn't make much of a salad would it?

 

Blogger emily said ... (6/22/2007 10:21 PM) : 

I love green beans - and cashews - and soy - what a winning combination! Thank you, Lisa, and Alanna.
(I sing the song too.)

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (6/22/2007 11:06 PM) : 

Bean meat????? You are completely hilarious and pretty much the only human that can make me laugh at my monitor the way you do.

What a gorgeous and delicious looking salad. We are complete bean eaters here in Paradise. My mom started us when we lived in So. Carolina. I'm sure there's no relation. It's just what I remember. Mmmmm...Beans, beans, good for your heart....

I heart you Lisa!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/23/2007 6:56 AM) : 

Alanna - May you cook for me? Hello? I'll be over tonight, say 6ish? =)) I'm glad you liked the post - it was fun to write in the middle of a very chaotic day at work. hehe Thank you again for a rockin' recipe! :D

Meeta - I can't wait to see your version of this salad! Yay!

Tanna - I do, don't I? hahahaa! 'kay soon as you get home, grab yourself some beans and some nuts and make this salad! :D

Bril - Yay! Thanks =)

Deborah - if you used your beans in this recipe, I can't imagine you being disappointed!

Gracie - What are we going to do with that man? hehee My suggestion would be - don't miss out on this salad.. halve it and go to town yourself! :D

Kev - I can't wait to get my card! I'll punch a hole in it and lace a string through so I can proudly wear it around my neck. ;) I fakkin' LOVE Ross! That segment with Steve Irwin was HYSTERICAL. I was crying by the end of it. hehehe

Callipygia - hehe well no.. BUT we found the trick is.. to double (or triple) the amount of nuts to be glazed.. and then you're like FORCED to eat them for the next couple days. MUAHAHAA!

Emily - How cool! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that sings it. haha!

Kelly - Awww I heart you back, sweetie =))

xoxo

 

Blogger browniegirl said ... (6/23/2007 2:27 PM) : 

Lis you are uvulatingly funny!! I was laughing so loud as I read this post that my hubby came in to the study to see what about! I can totally relate to your story!!Thanks, you made my night funny lady. Now I am taking my uvula and going to bed :) PS I love beans of all kinds so will definitely be making this dish soon!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/23/2007 9:04 PM) : 

This is one of your funniest posts ever! The image of you scraping "bean meat" off the roof of your mouth ... too funny.

Love the salad!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/24/2007 8:59 AM) : 

fantastic meal...very healthy too...thanks for sharing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/24/2007 1:05 PM) : 

Wow- I think that was the first time I ever have seen you comment on my site...THANKS! And I know what you mean about the roof of the mouth thing- but only with azuki beans...a sweet bean paste that is a japanese dessert and is often found inside mochi, pastries, and shave ice. So I don't know if that counts :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6/24/2007 11:51 PM) : 

I think it's incredibly good as a side dish. I love to combine salad with nuts.

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (6/25/2007 1:30 AM) : 

Beautiful!!! TOO funny re: beans...

I ADORE beans, but my boyfriend won't eat them. Thanks for a more articulate reason why they aren't great for everyone. He just "doesn't like them" and that infuriates me. At least you give a convincing reason!! :)

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (6/25/2007 9:27 AM) : 

Green beans and nuts are such an awesome combination. Healthy yet oh so good.

And I am right with you on the not big love of beans.

 

Blogger Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said ... (6/25/2007 1:59 PM) : 

That looks way awesome. I could definitly make a meal out of it. Cashews absolutely!

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (6/25/2007 3:29 PM) : 

Ha ha! Lovely salad, I love green beans and cashews too, never had this pasty bean thing going on!

 

post a comment