Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Pan Seared Shrimp & Scallops with Mushroom "Hash"

Remember the old Reese commercials where the slogan was "Two great tastes, that taste great together!"? 'kay well this was not the case last night. I had two skewers of giant scallops and jumbo shrimp that I had purchased from our seafood store, but didn't feel like grilling them. So I just started dumping ingredients in a pan that I thought would be good with the shellfish. Ohhh and was it good. Garlic, butter, fresh parsley, lemon juice and a splash of white wine.. the scallops were tender and sweet, the shrimp was creamy and flavorful. I might just have to prepare my shellfish like this from now on - yum!

I needed something a little on the substantial side to go with the shellfish as there were only 2 scallops and 2 shrimps per serving.. so I decided to go with baby new potatoes and fresh button mushrooms. I started preparing them the same way as with the shellfish - garlic and butter. At about the time I was allowing the veggies to carmelize a bit, Hubbs walked in with 2 late garden tomatoes - so I decided to seed one, cut it in chunks and add it to the veggies. I let the whole thing cook down a bit and what I got was a fabulous side dish that really could have been ate as the main course. The only problem was that by adding the tomato, the veggies ended up on the rich side and were a little too heavy to go good with the light shellfish. I will prepare this veggie dish again and again - but will pair it with beef or pork next time, for sure.

So there you have it - 2 new dishes for me, wonderful on their own, but not quite right with each other. =)

Pan Seared Scallops & Shrimp
Pan Seared Shrimp & Scallops with Mushroom Hash

3 TBS. butter
3 cloves garlic, minced and then mashed into paste
2 TBS. fresh, chopped parsley
juice from 1/2 lemon
splash of a good white wine (I used a Pinot Grigio)
1/2 lb. sea scallops
1/2 lb. large shrimp, shelled & deveined
pinch of sea salt

Saute garlic in butter until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and wine and cook until sauce reduces a bit, about 4-5 minutes. Add scallops, season with pinch of sea salt. Sear for about 2-3 minutes, flip the scallops and season, then add the shrimp and fresh parsley. The shrimp won't take as long so once you see them starting to turn their pretty creamy pink color, flip them. By the time the shrimp are cooked through, the scallops will be done as well.

Mushroom Hash
I'm not even sure Hash would be the right term for this side dish?
1 small carton of small to medium button or crimini mushrooms, leave whole
5-6 small new potatoes, peeled and chunked
1 lg. tomato, seeded and chunked
3 TBS. butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
Cracked black pepper
Sea salt
1 TBS. fresh parsley, chopped

Saute garlic in butter for about 3-4 minutes, add potatoes and allow to cook until lightly browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes, flip. Add the mushrooms, cap side down, cook for another 4 minutes or until the caps have gotten goldeny brown and add the tomato. Simmer for 6 minutes or until the juice from the mushrooms and tomato has reduced by half. Season with salt & pepper, stir in parsley.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Pan Seared Shrimp & Scallops with Mushroom "Hash""

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/04/2006 7:59 AM) : 

Woot - I'm looking at that mushroom 'hash' recipe and it looks mighty fine. I reckon it'd make a brilliant side for a dinner party, especially if you use teeny tiny button mushies :D

 

Blogger Julie said ... (10/04/2006 12:49 PM) : 

I love all the garlic and butter! You're right; these two dishes sound really delicious, but not quite right together. Certainly no harm done, though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/04/2006 5:51 PM) : 

Hello! That looks fantastic! I haven't had scallops in so long and now I really want some.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (10/04/2006 7:14 PM) : 

The scallops look unbelievably good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/04/2006 10:09 PM) : 

Hey ... at least you tried something new! And I think it looks great!

 

Blogger Ed Tep said ... (10/05/2006 1:38 AM) : 

Lis - Great coloring on those scallops! And I hope you get another chance to play matchmaker for the hash soon. They sound delicious.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (10/05/2006 6:07 AM) : 

Ellie muh luv - I agree.. inexpensive and you could definitely double and/or triple this side dish for guests =)

Julie - Hehehe me too.. although I'm not quite sure my arteries would agree. I think it's time I got out my Cooking Light cookbook again. :D

peabody - I hope you get some!

Callipygia - Thank you! Yes, although I am a shrimp lover, the scallops were my favorite in this dish =)

Ivonne - Thank you sweetie =)

Ed - I shall.. having a friend over for her birthday next week - she's requested london broil, so I think I'll make the hash to go with =)

 

post a comment