Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Foodbloggers Welcome Dinner Meme

*UPDATED BELOW*

dinnerinvite

My apologies to my lovely Ellie for taking so long to write up this delightful meme created by the equally lovely Angelika of The Flying Apple. This is such a charming idea to bring food bloggers together for a virtual celebration.

The premise of this meme is to describe how you would entertain your food blogging friends if they could join you in your home for a lovely evening of good food, drinks, conversation and laughter. And to me, there is no specific occasion that wouldn't be a smashing success if these four requirements are met.

I don't throw formal parties. When you visit our home you are a "guest" for the first 10 minutes and then after that you are part of the family. Did you need an extra spoon or fork? They are located in the drawer next to the sink, help yourself! Prefer a different type of glass for your drink? Absolutely! You can find them in the cupboard above the utensil drawer! Need something from the fridge? Be my guest - feel free to rummage through it until you've found what you like, I don't mind at all - you're family! My house is your house, please relax and enjoy yourself. =)

Now that we have that established and you are feeling as comfortable as being in your own home, walk out to the back yard with me. Lighted lanters will shine the way, both hanging and placed randomly throughout the yard. Two large white tents will be set up in case the weather decides to change. You'll find my large rectangular table adorned with place settings - most likely my favorite dishes, bowls and glassware. None will match exactly as I love mixing patterns with similar earth toned colors. On each setting you'll find a little something made especially for you to take home. Be it a homemade candle, a small bag of fruits and nuts or the latest chocolate or candy I have fallen in love with. Candles will be twinkling and greens will swirl between the centerpieces. If there's one thing you'll learn about me upon entering my house, is my love of plants and all that is fresh and green. Depending on my mood for the evening you'll hear soft classical or jazz or even some rockin' 80's music wafting through the open windows of my house.

On our deck will be two long tables where the appetizers, and later, desserts will be laid buffet style. On the first will be platters of nibblers such as my cheesy sausage snackers, slices of garden fresh cucumber with a dollop of my favorite crab salad on top, different dips with accompanying crackers, toasts and veggies, my favorite cracked crystal bowl filled to the top with my tapenade, a large bowl of fresh seasonal fruit marinating in a citrus/honey sauce, prosciutto wrapped melon and figs stuffed with creamy mascarpone and finally, a platter of antipasti laden with hams, salami, cheeses, olives and grapes. Dig in!! Feel free to walk around and mingle! We've always got the bocci area in the back of the yard, and there are ALWAYS tables set up in the "gaming tent" with decks of cards, dice and other games. This is where you will find me once all of my guests have arrived. There is nothing I enjoy more than the laughter and giggles heard around our game tables.

Once I've seen that everyone has picked on the appetizers and has had a few drinks of their choice (you'll also always find a stocked bar and buckets full of ice cold beer, sodas and water) I'll sneak off, most likely snagging a couple of you with me, to my kitchen to make last minutes touches to our dinner. Soon there will be heaping platters and bowls placed down the middle of the dining table. And ohhh the food that will appear! From my years of entertaining in combination with my years working in our family's restuarant, you will wonder what army will joining us. Along with a glazed ham, standing rib roast crusted in garlic and herbs, and either deep fried or roasted chicken you'll find a large salad simply dressed in olive oil and balsamic, bowls of both yukon and sweet smashed potatoes, there will be corn on the cob, steamed cauliflower perfumed with garlic and thyme. A large plate of home made cheese ravioli swimming in our marinara, carmelized brussel sprouts and candied carrot coins. Another platter will be filled with creamy mushroom and zucchini risotto. And don't be surprised if you find yet another heaping bowl filled with macaroni and cheese - made with a combination of creamy fontina, gruyere and parmigiano. Placed in wicker baskets the length of the table will be fresh warm Italian bread and rolls with small bowls of my favorite Amish made butter. Platters and bowls will be passed and plates will be filled. Conversation will lighten as tummies and tastebuds are being satisfied. Welcome to my "country-fied" Italian table. =)

When everyone has been sated, Hubbs will refresh your drink and we can either sit or move back to the gaming tent to enjoy each other's company. I'll set the desserts I've prepared on the second table on the deck - if you've got the room, you'll find a carmelized brown sugar cheesecake, my favorite apple crisp, fresh berry and custard parfaits, warm and gooey outrageous triple chocolate chip cookies and a platter of cheeses and fresh fruit. Dive in at your own risk. ;) Just can't pass another morsel through your lips tonight? That's fine, I'll have set plastic containers and tops at the end of the table - take your dessert to go and enjoy it once your tummy has settled (you know, in the middle of the night when you wake up and are dying for a big glass of milk and something sweet?).

Throughout the rest of the evening, the drinks will flow and the music might get a little louder.. we'll dance and laugh and feel happy to be with each other. And hopefully if I've done everything right, when you have decided it's time to go home you'll leave with the desire to come back as soon and as often as possible - as that's the way I'd prefer it. Come visit me often, please, there is nothing I would like better. =)

I forgot to tag a few of my favorite people! So if you'd like to participate, I'd love to tag:
Callipygia of FOODChair
Laura Rebecca of Laura Rebecca's Kitchen
and Meeta of What's for Lunch Honey?

Labels:

Comments on "Foodbloggers Welcome Dinner Meme"

 

Blogger Kalyn Denny said ... (10/22/2006 10:35 AM) : 

It sounds like a wonderful meal. The thing I'd like to make right now (and I think I have all the ingredients too!) is your version of tapenade. It sounds just fantastic. Wish I could come over.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/22/2006 11:10 AM) : 

"when you have decided it's time to go home you'll leave with the desire to come back as soon and as often as possible - as that's the way I'd prefer it"

You know, that's a bit dangerous as after a reception this good, I don't think you should be surprised to discover that I've moved into your garden shed ;) Sounds like you definetely know how to throw a party!

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (10/22/2006 8:27 PM) : 

What a wonderful hospitable party and sorry to say I cleared out all the fried chicken, put a serious dent into the mac-n-cheese and am hiding a fistful of cookies in my pocket...

 

Blogger Lis said ... (10/23/2006 6:25 AM) : 

Kalyn - How cool is that?? I make something that's considered healthy! Woo!! hehee I'm so glad you like the recipe - did you make it? What did you think? I make it often as it's very addictive on toasted baguette. Yum! :D

Ellie - rofl! You'd never move into our shed.. consider the guest room yours! =)

Callipygia - hahahhaa! That cracked me up first thing this morning! I'll pretend I didn't notice the bulging pocket or the cookie crumbs on your clothes. tee!

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (10/24/2006 12:22 AM) : 

Lis,
I don't want to leave this dinner party! Ok, I'd pretend I'm drunk and sleep inside the tent, heheee...

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (10/24/2006 11:51 AM) : 

Hi Lis! Your dinner party sounds wonderful! I'll have to think long and hard to come up with something as tasty as you've "prepared!"

 

post a comment