Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, September 25, 2006

Baked Tortellini Casserole

With no real plan for dinner last night, when the time came I just decided to dump a few ingredients into a baking dish and bake it until it was bubbly and goldeny delicious. At least that's what I had hoped for. Although I found this dish to be a lil rich for my liking, Hubbs loved it and has demanded that I write down exactly what I did so I can make it for him again.

Nothing special going on here.. the usual garlic, onions, herbs and tomatoes sauteed then mixed with some tortellini and fontina cheese. The only thing I thought I was taking a chance on was the addition of prosciutto. I'm kind of a prosciutto "purist" as I only really like it wrapped around something sweet (melon and/or figs) or just plain straight out of the butcher paper. I don't even like it on a sandwich. So adding it to a baked dish was something new. My feelings are, the prosciutto was what made the dish taste a lil too rich. I think if I were to experiment using it again in something I'm cooking, my sauce would be much more light.. like pasta mixed with a lil olive oil with maybe sun-dried tomatoes and prosciutto or just prosciutto and some fresh basil. But not with a tomato sauce. But who am I? Like I said, Hubbs loved it and even had a 2nd helping. He put the remaining casserole in a tupperware and is bringing it to work today for lunch, so mebbe my tasters were off last night? hehee

Baked Tortellini Casserole
Baked Tortellini Casserole

1 pkg. fresh tortellini (the smaller package, not the family sized)
1/2 large vidalia, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 (28 oz.) can quality diced tomatoes (San Marzano is what I prefer)
3 TBS. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dry oregano
2 TBS. fresh basil, chopped
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 lb. thinly sliced prosciutto, cut in ribbons (optional)
1/2 c. grated Pecorino Romano
4 oz. Fontina, cut into 1/4 inch slabs

Preheat oven to 400ยบ F.

In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups of water to a boil, then salt the water generously. Add tortellini and cook just until they float to the top - you don't want to over cook them as they will be baked later - drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions, garlic, bell pepper and oregano in a little olive oil until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the can of diced tomatoes with the juice, tomato paste, 1/4 cup of wine, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Combine tomato mixture with tortellini, sprinkled Pecorino over top and mix gently then add the slabs of Fontina, mixing some into the tortellini and leaving some laying on top. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Let set for 5 minutes then serve with a salad and crusty bread.

*Note: I think this is the first time I've made a dish with Fontina baked on top (I've always used Mozzarella) and it was fabulous. So good, in fact, that I am going to sub Fontina for Mozzarella the next time I make my pizzas. :D

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Baked Tortellini Casserole"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/25/2006 7:16 AM) : 

Your tasters were most definetely off - I looked at that and thought I saw a hint of heaven in that plate! Can you imagine living in a street full of food-bloggers? We'd eat like kings every day!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/25/2006 10:42 AM) : 

I have started to use fontina in more and more dishes; I love how easily it melts, and it has a more pronounced flavor than mozz that I like. I haven't tried it on top of a baked dish, but I bet you're right -- pizza, lasagna, etc., the possibilities are endless.

This dish looks like the essence of comfort food :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/25/2006 10:52 AM) : 

Looks yummy Lis!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (9/26/2006 6:09 AM) : 

Ellie - yes I agree.. and we'd weigh as much as their kingdoms teee!

Jennifer - I made pizza last night and on mine I used the Fontina - it was great.. might not ever go back to Mozz now. :D

Bruno - Thank you!! I've been perusing your blog lately and I love it! I'm so glad Ivonne turned me on to it =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/26/2006 5:42 PM) : 

Well that is not going to help my diet at all :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/30/2009 2:48 PM) : 

If using the prosciutto, where do you add it?

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/30/2009 2:53 PM) : 

Hi Anon.. it's been a long time since I made this.. I believe I cut it into ribbons and mixed it in with the tomatoes and tortellini.. but what might be better is to fry or bake the ribbons first and sprinkle on top for a good salty crunch?

xoxo

 

post a comment