Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Another Spin on Stuffed Flank Steak

You'd think after all that food at the Festa that I wouldn't need to cook (or eat!) again for days.. but alas, Hubbs thought differently. ;)

After trying and loving my first stuffed flank steak back when he was still working in Arkansas, I really couldn't wait to try it again. To my delight, I saw a bunch of our garden green peppers has turned red and decided that I'd roast them, then figured they'd be delicious stuffed into this surprisingly tender cut of meat. I was also thinking about how one day I'd like to try making braciole, although when I do, I'd prefer to go the more traditional route. But the thought of braising this flank steak in tomato sauce was too good to pass up. Luckily, I had two big containers full of Mama Cream Puff's tomato sauce in my freezer and knew it would be perfect for this dish!

This version was heavenly. The meat was so tender and I didn't even pound it much this time as the cut was pretty thin as it was. I'm thinking I might have to try this cut of steak marinated and grilled next time. The roasted red peppers and spinach paired well with the meat and although I lurve garlic it was a little over powering for me as I sliced it thick so the taste of raw garlic really shined through. Next time I'll mince - or even roast it first and then use a thick layer of roasted garlic paste. The tomato sauce was perfect, as I knew it would be, with that background hit of the pork cooked through it, it was rich and wonderful spooned over the pretty slices.

I served it simply with a side of garlic sauted swiss chard.. ohh how I love Autumn and all it's produce! :D

Spinach, garlic & roasted red pepper stuffed flank steak
Spinach, Garlic & Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Flank Steak

1 1/2 to 2 lb. flank steak
2 small or 1 large roasted red pepper (See Note)
15-30 leaves fresh baby spinach
3 cloves garlic, thick sliced
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 TBS. olive oil
3 c. of tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 400º F.

Pour the tomato sauce into a roasting pan, and set in oven while it comes up to temp.

If your flank steak is thick, you'll need to butterfly it to thin it out for easier rolling and even cooking. Mine was pretty thin, so I skipped that step. Next lay your steak on a piece of plastic wrap and then lay another piece of plastic wrap over it. Proceed to pound the steak using firm (but not heavy) strokes, pound from one end of the steak to the other with the smooth side of the meat mallet. This will help break down the fibers in the steak to assure a tender bite.

Rub the meat with a little olive oil and then season with salt & pepper. Then lay the spinach leaves over the pesto, you can either go with a single layer or double (triple if you wish). Layer strips of roasted red pepper over the spinach and then sprinkle the slices of garlic on top.

Next, starting from a short side, roll the meat over the filling all the way to the end. Don't be surprised if some of the filling falls out, just tuck it back in and continue rolling. To hold the stuffed steak together, it must be tied. Cut five or six pieces of kitchen twine (about 14" each) and tie the steak using double knots, cutting excess twine off. Rub the rolled meat with a little more olive oil and season all sides with salt & pepper.

Heat an oven safe skillet over medium heat until it's good and hot. Sear steak on all sides in olive oil, ending with seam side down. Carefully remove the pan of tomato sauce from the oven and place seared roast in, spooning sauce to cover. Braise steak for 20-30 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 140º for medium rare. Let set for at least 5 mintues before slicing. Spoon sauce over slices.

Stuffed Flank Steak and Swiss Chard

*Note: To roast the red peppers, I simply placed them over one of my gas burners on the stove top to char the skin, turning so all sides char. Then I dropped them into a brown paper bag and let sit for 20 minutes. After they've cooled I peeled them and sliced. Using jarred roasted peppers would also work just as well.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Another Spin on Stuffed Flank Steak"

 

Blogger Kalyn Denny said ... (9/07/2006 8:42 AM) : 

I'm so glad I added you to my feed reader! This recipe looks fabulous.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (9/07/2006 10:54 AM) : 

Boy Lis, if it tastes anything near as good as it looks, you've got a winner! Those colors are beautiful.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (9/07/2006 4:32 PM) : 

Lis!
I am HUNGRY after looking at this! God does that look goooood! You did a great job here baby .... errr .... just one thing .... you forgot to invite me!!

 

Blogger emily said ... (9/07/2006 6:42 PM) : 

how beautiful is that - i'm glad you decided to continue eating even after the festa.

 

Blogger lobstersquad said ... (9/08/2006 4:00 AM) : 

Hi Lis
I keep hearing about this flank steak, and we don´t have that cut here. It´s so annoying.I´m going to have a long talk with my butcher, and see if I can buy something similar, because it looks oh so good.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (9/08/2006 6:32 AM) : 

Kalyn - that's so nice, thank you! I keep hearing about this feed reader, I need to get one.

Kevin - Just as good as the colors.. do you grill flank steak?

Meeta - You ALWAYS have an open invite to dinner at my house! =)

Emily - I'm kinda glad too hehee! Thanks for stopping by :D

Ximena - I hope your talk with the butcher works, dear! =)

 

Blogger anni said ... (9/08/2006 8:15 PM) : 

Oohh, la, la ....
I've got to seek out more Red Chard...
Nicely done...

Tootles,
Anni :-)

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (9/08/2006 9:43 PM) : 

Honestly Lis, I don't think I've ever cooked a flank steak.

 

Blogger anni said ... (9/08/2006 10:06 PM) : 

PS . . .
I can get a nice thin flank steak at my local Latino Carniceria. I also like to use a "skirt" steak or "hanger" steak.
Hmmm...I was going to make a paella after reading Meeta's post. I think my Hubby's gonna have another food-filled weekend.
I look forward to continued exchange.

Tootles,
Anni :-)

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (9/09/2006 4:52 AM) : 

Lis,
what a beautiful roll-up. I love roasted pepper too... gosh, my mouth keeps watering... napkin!!!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (9/09/2006 6:22 AM) : 

Anni - Sounds like your hubby's tummy is going to be happy this weekend! =) I am so envious of your Latino Carniceria.. A cultural specialty store is pretty much non-existant where I live, I have to travel at least 45 minutes and then my choices are very limited. If anyone reads this who is from the Greater Cleveland area, I'd sure appreciate some tips on good Latino, Asian and German shops! =)

'kay Kevin.. it's time. I would love to see what you could come up with using that cut of steak! ;)

Gattina - hehehe! You make me smile! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/09/2006 9:41 PM) : 

Lis, this looks absolutely gorgeous! All those flavours....yuuuum!

 

Blogger Kalyn Denny said ... (10/22/2006 1:31 PM) : 

Hi again,
Just leaving a comment to let you know that I'm including this recipe in my South Beach Recipes of the Week today, where I feature SB friendly recipes from other blogs. There's a link back here so people can find the recipe and your photo (with a photo credit for you, of course.) Great recipe!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (10/23/2006 6:29 AM) : 

Kalyn - Ooohh! For some reason I thought you meant the tapenade! I had to go back to my e-mail to see you meant the flank steak - I'm delighted you are featuring it.. definitely low carb and delicious, I hope you try it and let me know what you think! Thank you so much =)

 

post a comment