Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

4th of July with a Lil Asian Twist

We had a loverly 4th of July this year, as I hope all of you did! This year we decided that because of work the next day (ugh) that dinner with the Cleavers would be the perfect way to celebrate the holiday. =) Yes.. the Cleavers. One of my closest friends in alla world, Mindy, has been dubbed June Cleaver. Her fabulous husband Dan, also known as Ward, and their beautiful little girl, Lily - better known as the "Beavette" are my Cleaver family. When Mindy and Dan first started dating they were so funny together as Mindy would ask Dan for a favor and Dan would always reply, "Yes, Dear." At first I thought it was for my benefit, but soon found out that this was Dan's (Ward's) constant reply to June, err, Mindy! They are the perfect couple ('kay they fight light cats and dogs, just like the rest of us) with the perfect child (she's 7, amazingly beautiful, and she's got a knack of getting herself in some predicaments, that end up being quite funny - such as, yesterday she accidentally slammed her finger in our slider door and howled as if she chopped the the damn thing off.. June took her to the bathroom for some first aid and when they made it back out to the kitchen Lily was still quite upset until she noticed me slicing the London Broil with my electric knife - she instantly stopped crying and in a very serious tone, commented that the knife was quite a nifty gadget.) So yes, we had dinner with the Cleavers and it was a fabulous day. =)

For munchies before dinner, I prepared Mindy's Guacamole which I served in hollowed out cherry tomato halves such as Ilva of Lucullian Delights created with her Avocados & Cucumbers Thanks Ilva! :D Along with melon wrapped in prosciutto and these fabulous little wonton snackers, that everyone enjoyed, even the very picky Beavette =) I found the recipe on Recipzaar a few weeks ago and thought they'd be a nice addition to my appetizer repertoire. They were easy to make and delicious served with both sweet & sour and plum sauces. I was a little nervous while frying them as the wonton browned quickly, too quickly I thought, for the pork filling to cook completely - but I left them in the hot oil and happily saw that the wonton only got a bit more goldeny brown while the pork filling cooked completely. I had intended to make a dipping sauce of rice wine vinegar, freshly grated ginger and soy sauce, but somehow ended up not making it.. guess I had too much fun chit chatting with June, eh? =) Regardless, these were the perfect little snackers for just about any occasion.

Wontons
Chinese Wontons
Courtesy of Cocoa and Recipezaar

1 lb. ground pork
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 carrots, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
6 green onions, finely diced
1 package wonton wrappers
water
oil (for deep frying)
your favorite sweet and sour sauce or plum sauce

Combine pork, garlic, ginger, soysauce, and vegetables in a bowl.

Separate wonton skins.

Place a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of the wonton. Brush water on 2 borders of the skin, covering 1/4" from the edge. Fold skin over to form a triangle, sealing edges. Pinch the two long outside points together.

Heat oil to 350 degrees and fry 4 to 5 at a time until golden.

Drain and serve with sauce.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "4th of July with a Lil Asian Twist"

 

Blogger Ed Tep said ... (7/06/2006 2:18 AM) : 

Lis - Sounds like y'all had a great holiday! I love wontons! 450 seems a bit high to fry them, but it sounds like they turned out just fine. And you are so right. They are the perfect party food.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (7/06/2006 5:26 AM) : 

Ed, thanks - I hope you guys did too! And you are right.. 450 is wayyyyyyy to high, typo on my part, doh! Thanks for mentioning that, I changed the recipe. :D

 

post a comment