Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Honey-Dijon Curry Chicken with Israeli Couscous

Following my cravings again.. I felt like baked chicken of some sort last night. I really, really wanted Hubbs' baked chicken, but that was one of his AWESOME dishes that he didn't write down what he did - therefore, it'll never happen again. *sigh* Eager to try my curry powder again, I decided to make one of my old standby's but with a kick (I had hoped). My Honey-Dijon baked chicken is pretty damn good, if I do say so myself, and I thought it might be made better with the addition of the curry. I was also hoping for that little spicy kick. Well the chicken turned out to be outstanding. The flavor was savory with a slight sweetness in the background and the curry really gave the chicken a depth of flavor that it hasn't had before. But no heat. I used TWO TABLESPOONS of the stuff.. nada. I definitely bought a sweet curry powder with no kick to it whatsoever. On one hand I'm okay with that, because the flavor it imparts is marvelous, but on the other hand, it's not what I thought I was buying. I absolutely need to get to the West Side Market or put that order into Penzey's that I keep meaning to do.

I paired the chicken with Israeli couscous with sauteed veggies and balsamic. It was the perfect compliment to the savory & sweet chicken.

Dijon-Honey Curry Chicken w/Couscous
Honey-Dijon Curry Chicken with Israeli Couscous

For the Chicken
4 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. salt
2 TBS. curry powder

For the Couscous
1 c. Israeli couscous
2 c. chicken stock
2 TBS. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. bell pepper, diced (I used an orange bell)
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 c. grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 TBS. Balsamic vinegar
Parmigiano Reggiano, grated

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Place chicken thighs in a shallow baking pan, skin side up.

Combine melted butter, honey, Dijon, salt & curry powder in medium bowl. Pour over chicken thighs. Bake for 75 minutes, basting chicken every 15-20 minutes. This will give your chicken crispy skin. *swoon*

While your chicken is cooking, bring 2 cups of chicken stock to a bowl then add the couscous. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and turn off heat, let sit until ready to add vegetables.

In a skillet, saute garlic, onions, peppers and tomato halves in 2 TBS. olive oil until lightly browned and the tomatoes are shriveled. Fluff the couscous with a fork and transfer it to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Add the sauteed veggies, mixing well. Add the fresh basil and mix well. Top the couscous with the 2 TBS. balsamic and give it a slight stir. (Just enough so it's not pooled on top) Bake, uncovered, for the last 20 minutes of cooking time for the chicken.

When everything is done, grate the Parmigiano over the couscous while it's still warm. Serve.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Honey-Dijon Curry Chicken with Israeli Couscous"

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (6/20/2006 9:21 AM) : 

That looks amazing! Tell you what: you bring that for dinner & I'll bring the dessert.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/20/2006 10:52 AM) : 

Why don't we all meet mid-way...where would that be? Kansas? Oye...nevermind. How 'bout VEGAS! I'll bring cigars.

You should pick up a small jar of Thai Kitchen red or green curry paste. It's in all the grocery stores out here. For your tender lips it will be atomic hot so add it to your curry recipe in blobs you fish out of the jar with a toothpick. Your sweet curry powder will provide the flavor you like and this will provide heat in measurable doses. Play with it and see if you like it.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/20/2006 12:45 PM) : 

hahahahahaaa! So I'm sitting at my desk acting as if I'm alll kinds of consumed by my work when alla sudden I burst out into a huge belly laugh that escaped before I even knew it was happening.. THANK YOU KEVIN. I gotta stop reading comments when I'm at work.. A- I'm gonna get fired, which wouldn't be so bad. B- I'm gonna pee this snazzy fake suede captain's chair due to uncontrollable laughter and that just won't be pretty.
Tonight I'm stopping at a different grocery store across town (only fakkin place that carries my coffee creamer) and I shall buy the Thai Kitchen curry paste and a fresh packet of toothpicks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/21/2006 10:00 AM) : 

Lisa,

That chicken looks fantastic. While I'm not a huge fan of curry, I'd definitely give it a try if you made it for me!!!

:o)

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/21/2006 12:58 PM) : 

ATTENTION...ATTENTION...PAGING LISA...LISA, PLEASE REPORT TO THE SUPERVISIOR'S OFFICE IMMEDIATELY. PUT DOWN THE TOOTHPICKS AND YES, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY BRING YOUR BELONGINGS.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/21/2006 6:18 PM) : 

Ivonne, I'd like be delighted to make this for you! =)

Kevin.. HAR! I shut my office door today when I peeked in.. so my unbridled laughter was at least muffled when I read your comment ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/09/2007 11:10 AM) : 

(This is the 2nd time I've seen you lament the lack of heat in that curry powder, so even if the problem has long been solved, I'm de-lurking to throw in my $0.02 --)

Given that curry powders are by definition just mixes of various spices, if the one you're using doesn't have enough of a desired ingredient - go ahead and add it! Most commercial "curry powder" blends are heavy on the turmeric, with not a heck of a lot of heat - if it's yellow, it "must be exotic", but 'ware the hot pepper lest it scare off the generic spice-phobic palate.

It's too bad, really.

Yours sounds like it's missing the cayenne. Why not just add it back in as you're cooking, at the same stage you add the other dried spices? You can get small jars of ground cayenne easily, and this comes with the added bonus of being able to control the heat level to a fine degree :) Added to that, think of all the wonderful opportunities to add a little kick to spaghetti sauce, make penne ala vodka, sneak a tiny bit into the breading for chicken or fish...!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/11/2007 5:58 PM) : 

Anon - Thanks so much for your advice. Since this posting back in June of last year, I've been adding in pepper to my dishes that I'd like a lil heat in. It's been a slow process, learning to tolerate heat, but a year later and my hubby no longer complains about his dinner not having enough spice. hehe =)

Thanks for stopping by!

 

post a comment