Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Gooey Butter Cake - Version III - the Mystery Flavor

So Sunday I had to make something in case they did have room for desert (little did I know "they" weren't going to show). After the peanut butter fiasco, I was determined to try again. Only this time, I figured that I've made so many of Paula's Gooey Butter Cakes, that I could make up a flavor of my own with my knowledge of how she comes up with hers. Also, I still had a boatload of cream cheese in my fridge that I needed to get rid of.

I had a few flavors of cake mix in my pantry and decided that banana would be an interesting base. Now for the filling.. do I go all Elvis on their asses and try another peanut butter filling (using a BRAND SPANKING NEW jar of peanut butter OF COURSE) with maybe marshmallow fluff swirled through? That did sound mighty tasty - but I was kinda afraid of peanut butter the next day.. so we'll try that one another time. So what else goes well with bananas? Chocolate of course!! A chocolate covered banana gooey butter cake! Ingenious! (Is that a word?)

Now I had the flavors I wanted to try. But I've got the problem of that cream cheese layer being so damn thin.. I specifically recall all my pumpkin gooey cakes being light and fluffy.. not thin and so dense, dammit. My guess is that the pumpkin is what makes that variation so much more fluffy - although I couldn't tell you why I guess that. I have no good reason. Well I decided to up the cream cheese to two packages for this cake. I did end up getting a thicker layer (duh) but it wasn't as light as the pumpkin. Still.. a most excellent cake all in all. I'm very happy with the results and will make this variation again and again.

Chocolate Banana Gooey Cake cu
Chocolate Covered Banana Gooey Butter Cake

1 pkg. banana cake mix
1 egg
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
4 TBS. heavy cream
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
3 eggs
8 oz. confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Lightly grease a 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan (I always use a glass Pyrex dish) with butter.

In a mixer, combine the cake mix, egg and butter until it forms a ball. Press this mixture into the bottom of your baking pan.

Place the chocolate and heavy cream into a microwave safe bowl and zap it for 30 seconds, then stir to combine, zap again for 15 seconds and stir until it's all melty.

In same mixer, beat the cream cheese until it's good and soft, add the eggs, chocolate and vanilla. Mix well. Slowly add the sugar until it's just combined. Pour over the cake layer and spread until it's even.

Bake for 35 minutes. Original gooey butter cake recipe calls for 45-50 minutes, but 35 was just perfect for my oven. Cool before serving.

Yum!

Chocolate Banana Gooey Cake

My crap cam seems to be taking a crap on me (oh no!) I couldn't get a clear picture of this cake to save my life :(

*Note: You might have noticed that I left out that 2nd stick of butter in the filling. I really don't think it's needed.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Gooey Butter Cake - Version III - the Mystery Flavor"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/27/2006 9:52 AM) : 

This looks like a delicious alternative to my v. heavy cheesecake - I love banana and chocolate!

As for a lighter filling...perhaps the addition of some beaten eggwhites lightly folded in? Courtesy of Nigella from her Domestic Goddess book ;)

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (6/27/2006 10:12 AM) : 

Yum. I've got to make a gooey butter cake one of these day.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/27/2006 12:38 PM) : 

2nd stick!!! That could only be a Deen recipe.

Banana & Chocolate -- ooohhhh yyeeeahhhh!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/27/2006 2:23 PM) : 

Great cake, Lisa! I love how you made it your own. And of course anything covered in chocolate is good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/27/2006 3:21 PM) : 

Sounds very good!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/28/2006 6:18 AM) : 

Ellie - The egg whites sound like a good idea, I'll try that next time, thank you :D

LR - Yes.. you do! hehee

Kevin - hahaha exactly.. who else would put yet another stick of butter in the recipe? Thankfully, you really don't need it!

bna - Thanks!

Ivonne - Aww thanks =) And I couldn't agree more about anything covered in chocolate is a good thing lol

Emily - Totally rich, but in small pieces.. is a wonderful cake :D

fok - Thanks for stopping by! And yes, Ms. Deen came up with a winner with her gooey cakes. I think Nutella would work really well. Yum!

 

post a comment