Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Funky lil salad

This lil crunchy salad is one of our favorites, the recipe given to me by my "therapist" also known as one of my bestest friends ever, Kim. Kim has given me a few recipes that I find interesting in a funky way.. and by funky I guess I mean kinda weird. Ingredients that aren't ordinary, put together to make something quite delicious. This is one of those recipes.

Broccoli Slaw

Doesn't it look a lil funkdified? Wondering what exactly is in this bowl? Yeah, I did too when she first took it out of her fridge years ago. I snubbed my nose at it.. until she forced me to take a bite - literally shoved a forkful into my face while holding the back of my head so I couldn't get outta the way. Yeah, that's a fond memory. :P Of course I'm sure there was no beer involved in that little episode. heeheee Anyhoo, am glad she did it because it's delicious! An earthy and crunchy salad that becomes addicting once you've taken your first bite. The broccoli gives it that earthy taste and the crunch comes from everything else including roasted sunflower seeds, almond slices and ramen noodles. Yes! Ramen Noodles!

Okay how to explain this.. the broccoli slaw itself. It's pre-bagged, I don't make it from scratch. So if you can't find it in your bagged salad section of your store, I would imagine that it'd be easy enough to make on your own - and although I've been way to lazy over the years and have never attempted to try to make my own, I suspect the salad would be even better tasting had I julienned my own carrots, red cabbage and broccoli stalks. There are no florets of broccoli, but again, my guess would be if you are forced (or not lazy like I am) the florets would be a wonderful addition. The other thing is the dressing. I have no idea exactly how much veggie oil and how much balsamic you use. I was taught when making this salad to use one of those lil bottles you can buy that comes with those little packages of Good Season's dressing mixes. You don't use the Good Season's dressing mix in this recipe, just the bottle. lol What you do is pour the balsamic in to the first line on the bottle and then fill the rest of the bottle (about to the halfway mark of the neck of the bottle) with veggie oil - and then the "seasoning" is the package of Ramen Noodle seasoning! Chicken preferably. I told you it was funky!! :D

Broccoli Slaw
2 pkgs. Broccoli Slaw
2 pkgs. Ramen Noodles, chicken flavor
1 c. roasted & salted sunflower seeds
1 c. sliced almonds
Balsamic vinegar - (I'll make a guestimate that it's at least 1/4 c.)
Veg, Canola or Olive oil - (guestimate of maybe 3/4 - 1 c.?)

Lay your bag of Ramen Noodles on your counter, unopened. Find something heavy - I use the flat side of my hammer like device that's made for pounding chicken or meat. What the hell is that called again? Give your ramen noodles a good smashing to break them up into bite sized pieces. Open the bags and take the seasoning packs out then pour the noodles, along with the rest of the ingredients, except dressing, into a large bowl that has a lid.

Fill your cruet (or jar) with the balsamic & oil then add the seasoning packs from the ramen noodles. Shake it all up until it's emulsified. Pour the whole thing over your salad and put the lid on the bowl - shake, shake, shake.. shake your funkdified crunchy salad.. shake your funkdified crunchy salad (all the time humming the "Shake your Booty" song that creeps into your head and NEVER. LEAVES.)

Refrigerate for a few hours.. every once in a while giving it another good shake to make sure the dressing is doing it's thing to soften the ramen noodles. Because, yes.. your salad should NOT have crunchy ramen noodles as they are not tasty and you can break a tooth on them. Enjoy!

Shake, shake, shake.. shake, shake, shake.. shake your booty! shake your booty!

Labels: ,

Comments on "Funky lil salad"

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/27/2006 12:44 PM) : 

I discovered that brocolli slaw a couple of years ago. Ed abhors (I love that word) brocolli and most other veggies. In fact, his whole family has an aversion to them. I snuck some of that slaw into a salad with lots of other goodies and he never knew what it was. He's slowly growing suspect to unidentified foods I feed him, but I haven't damaged his food trust in me yet.

**shake, shake, shake...shake, shake, shake..**SHIT** THANKS A LOT LISA!!!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/28/2006 6:34 AM) : 

No, I should say you haven't.. if I remember correctly I read a comment from him on your site where he stated how appreciative he was of your cooking skills, so I think you're safe :D

And you are sooooooo welcome.. it's great isn't it?? It NEVER. LEAVES.

 

post a comment