Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Tyler is hot!

I don't know if I've mentioned.. but I'm on a quest for the perfect chewy chocolate chip cookie. After my score of Valrhona chocolate at Miles Farm Market last weekend, I could not wait to try a new recipe with one of the best chocolates in the world. So I searched high and low and found 5 chocolate chip cookie recipes - all promising to be chewy and yummy. But which one to try first? Well.. after much debate, I decided to go for Tyler Florence's Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Why? Because Tyler is hot, of course. The man is a fantastic chef and total eye candy to boot.. how could I go wrong?

I made a damn good choice. =) His cookies are buttery, big, fat AND chewy! yay! I was kinda worried because they do end up pretty huge and although golden brown around the edges after 12 minutes, still looked undone in the middle.. but I figured what the heck - if I cook them any longer they are gonna be crispy and a crispy chocolate chip cookie is bad juju to me. After cooling off (As If. They were still steamin' hot because I couldn't wait to taste them) I found them to be delightful.. are they the BEST chewy chocolate chip cookie EVER? Well.. I've still got 4 more recipes to try and the ultimate test is a day or two after - will they still have their chewy goodness? We'll see. =)

But if these other 4 recipes turn out 1/2 as good or better than Tyler's - well all I can say is it's going to be delicious finding out :D

Tyler's ccc 3

Tyler Florence's Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 (8 oz.) block dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 350ยบ F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
Place the butter, sugar and brown sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer; cream together on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.
Gradually ad the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and contine to mix until a smooth batter forms.
Turn off the mixer and fold in the chocolate chunks using the spatula.
To form the cookies, scoop about 1/4 c. of the cookie dough into your hands and roll it into a ball; place them about 3 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets - you should get about 4 cookies on each pan. Press down the tops of the dough slightly and bake until the cookies are light brown, 12 minutes for chewy cookies or about 15 minutes for crispy cookies.
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough/cookie sheets.
*Note: I didn't use 1/4 c. balls, instead I scooped them out with 2" scoop - they flatted out to be about 3 inches in diameter. Loverly =)

Tyler's ccc 4

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Tyler is hot!"

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/02/2006 3:09 PM) : 

They've passed the day after test, Emily lol Still chewy and yum! I've tried his Ultimate Roast Chicken as well and it was marvelous.. so I'm 2 for 2 Tyler recipes :D

Hi Alyssa! I've got 2 puppies, Nigel and Chloe.. my babies =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/14/2008 4:24 PM) : 

tyler must be eating a lot of these cookies 'cause he's gained quite a bit of weight since he started his show... almost as much as emeril who's porked out quite a bit as well.

 

post a comment