Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Monday night wings

Trying to figure out new recipes to try when you are only cooking for yourself is kind of hard. But with him being gone now for over a month, I am tired of the same old same old and I miss cooking in my pretty kitchen! So Sunday night I perused the 100's of recipes I've collected from these excellent blogs I've found myself addicted to and decided on Most Excellent Chicken Wings by Sara at I Like to Cook. She found this recipe in a magazine and has been making them ever since she was in college. I cut the recipe in half and even that was way too much for the 6 wings I had taken out of the freezer.. so next time (and there will definitely be a next time!) I'll remember to either use the whole 3 pounds of wings it calls for, or freeze the excess marinade for another time.

These wings were really tasty. I can only describe them as a cross between barbecued and teriyaki wings. I only needed to bake mine for 50 minutes, as opposed to the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours the recipe calls for. They turned out sweet & tangy and gooey & crisp all at the same time! The marinade didn't just flavor the skin, but gave the meat of the wings a fabulous flavor as well. They are messy though.. so you'll definitely want a wet nap or two close by =)

I paired these wings with my roasted sweet potatoes, which are super easy. Just dice up a sweet potato or two, spread out on a cookie sheet in one layer and drizzle with olive oil and a good sprinkling of kosher salt. Bake at 400º F. for 20 to 25 minutes. Using a metal spatula, turn the potatoes over, keeping them in a single layer, and sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over them generously. Bake another 20 minutes. They end up being so creamy on the inside with a crispy coating on the outside.. delish!

I think my only change next time will be to make a more savory side dish to go with these sweet wings. Although the sweet potatoes were awesome, this dinner was probably too sweet in general.

Wings1

Most Excellent Chicken Wings

3 pounds chicken wings
1 stick of butter or margarine (I used butter - of course! lol)
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. dry mustard

Combine all ingredients except wings in a medium saucepan and heat until butter and sugar are melted. Cool, and pour over wings. Cover and marinate overnight, turning 2 or 3 times. Bake at 375º F. for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

Wings Sweet Potato2

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Monday night wings"

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (4/05/2006 5:42 PM) : 

Yum -- both look very tasty. :D

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/06/2006 9:20 AM) : 

Emily.. let me know how yours turn out! The marinade is not even close to a red color, so I was kinda surprised when they turned out such a gorgeous ruby red :D

Ali.. they were! Try 'em =)

 

Blogger Marianne said ... (4/10/2006 6:34 PM) : 

These look positively delicious, they are definitely on my list for next week. I love chicken wings!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/10/2006 9:21 PM) : 

They did turn out yummy.. so glad Sara found that recipe! The marinade is very similar to the asian bbq sauce that a lot of chinese restaurants use on their shortribs. I look forward to hearing how yours turned out =)

 

post a comment